Thursday, June 23, 2011

The end of one idea gives birth to another

how did we get to this point
I am a 29yr old happily married woman in Australia, before my hubby and I got married 2 and a bit years ago a lot was discussed including the possible inability for us to conceive without medical intervention. For me the possibility of being a mum one day was an always thought..
you know the one I'm talking about the "I always knew I would be a mum" "I always new I would or could or should....." like I said for me being mum is an always thought.. but for my reproductive system is seems to be a "maybe" thought... unfortunately I am one of thousands who have been diagnose with PCOS which is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, a delightful syndrome the really loves to mess with your head on so many levels.. please refer to the following link so I don't need to bore you http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/

so PCOS coupled with a few other medical drama's (ones I won't list) and we have issues..
in our first 6 months we lost two different little angels before the first trimester after that nadda.. :(

with PCOS your cycle can be messed up and all out of sync at the best of times.. try 12 months without a cycle and see how you go.. not fun at all especially when you have the doctor saying try this and it will work, and then it only does one part and not the ovulating, then try this one, but it doesn't
work because the first lot still hasn't done the job.. lets just say I have a very uncooperative system..

so now we come to this part.. treatment has not worked and waiting for it to do its own thing is not happening either..

so no we are looking at Adoption...
how did we really go from lets make a baby to this.. well it came as an easy response.. as much as my hubby would love to have his features on another running around the back yard, and as much as i would love to go through the pregnancy (yes even the not so great bits) we have accepted that its possibly just not the right time for our bodies to work together.. and may never happen.
and after a long long conversation We both agreed we could not justify going through IVF....

as I was saying at the start of this Blog, before we were even married we spoke about adopting and or fostering.. with a joint understanding that this is something we would look into doing in 5-10 years.. well turns out we don't want to wait that long.. there is something to be said for raising your own kids, but there is something to be said for sharing the wealth of love you have with a child who can be your own..

so here is where it all begins the grueling and hopefully in time rewarding efforts to go from adoption to parenthood... because that is what we are talking about..

if you are someone who is considering adoption remember to consider this you are not just getting a child you are becoming a parent.. there is no telling what the future may hold but parenthood is for life.. I have already read and heard enough horror stories to know that your head, heart and your life need to be completely committed to this not just your house or your living situation

so as we go down this path to parenthood I hope to share with you what we experience, the joys, the frustrations, and the joys. (oh yes I know I said that already but the end result we hope for is one of joy) you have to have hope.. hold onto it and never lose hope..

the first step for us in an information session.. fingures crossed we come away from it with a much clearer picture of what is ahead for us..

2 comments: